- Butter one side of each piece of bread. Set aside.
- Slice Gilbert’s Fig & Feta Sausage into ½ inch pieces
- Between the unbuttered sides of bread, layer caramelized onions, sausage, a sprinkle of feta, and a drizzle of balsamic glaze.
- Grilled sandwich on a grill pan or panini press until golden and toasted.
- Gently open sandwich and add a layer of fresh greens. Slice in half, enjoy!
To make caramelized onions: heat 1 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp butter over medium-low heat. Add 2-3 thinly sliced onions and season with a little salt/pepper. Cook onions, stirring frequently, until caramelized and deep brown in color. I still like mine to have a small bite so I cook mine for about 20 minutes. (TIP: If the pan seems dry and the onions are sticking stir in 1/4 c. of water. Stir and let cook-off. Repeat as often as needed until the onions are done. This won't change the flavor and keeps them from burning.)