- In a small pot, combine all filling ingredients over medium heat. Allow apples to cook down, stirring frequently for approx. 15 min. until tender and sauce has formed/thickened. Once done, remove from heat and allow to cool.
- In a separate pan, cook coined sausage over medium heat with a splash of apple cider. Allow sausage to cook/slightly brown. Then remove from heat and set aside.
- Prep egg wash: combine 1 egg and a bit of water. Mix, and set aside.
- Next, on counter top/work surface sprinkle a bit of flour, then open/unroll pie crusts. Roll crusts out slightly, then fold over so they’re doubled in thickness. Roll out again and form a circular shape with each crust (we used a large circle plate to trace our dough).
- Brush approx. 1 and 1/2 tbsp apple butter on each crust (avoiding edges). Then split filling and cooked sausages between the two crusts (focusing on only one half of the circles).
- Carefully fold over unfilled half to meet the other side, and form calzone/half circle shape.
- Using your prepared egg wash, wash edges to seal/close. Then crimp edges all around with a fork.
- Brush tops of calzones with wash, and sprinkle with additional cinnamon as desired. Cut a couple of slits across tops, as shown.
- Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 15 min. Then, broil for a couple min. after that.
- Remove from oven, allow to slightly cook and slice. Enjoy immediately!
Makes 2 shareable-size calzones