Gilbert’s goes to Jersey and gets dropped in the deep fryer.
Hot Dog Ingredients
- 4 Gilbert’s Andouille Chicken Sausages
- 4 Standard hot dog buns
- 24 oz Oil for frying – canola or peanut oil
- 1 Fresh diced onion, small
- 1/2 head Chopped cabbage
- 1 Chopped green pepper
- 2 Grated carrots
- 1 small Hot cherry pepper or jalapeño, seeded
- 2 tsp Dry mustard
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Vinegar
Deep fried dogs are popular in New Jersey and Connecticut and surprisingly delicious especially when made with the right dog - the outside has a nice crunch and the inside stays juicy. The relish is a cross between Jersey mustard relish and Philadelphia pepper hash - resulting in a perfectly cooling, sweet-hot counterpart to the crispy, deep fried dog.
- Combine all relish ingredients except vinegar in a bowl and let cure for 30 minutes. Add vinegar and rest another 15 minutes before chopping with a hand blender or in a food processor. Texture should be finely chopped but not quite pureed. Even better after 24 hours in the fridge.
- Heat oil to 350 - 375 degrees in a saucepan or iron skillet. With metal tongs, carefully drop the Fromans into the hot oil and cook for about 5 minutes or until the skin starts to blister. Let it go longer if you really want it crisp, or finish the dog off on a grill or iron skillet for a minute or two - a trick they use at some of the best Jersey spots.
- Place fried dog in the bun (which will soak up the excess oil) and top with relish and raw onions if desired.