- Heat oil in a large, heavy soup pot over medium heat. Add onion along with the salt and pepper and saute until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add chicken broth and diced potatoes and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a low boil and let cook until the potatoes are soft and cooked through, about 12-15 minutes (check doneness with a fork).
- Using a wire whisk lightly mash some of the potatoes in the pot. (I mash about ⅓ of the potatoes because I like to have chunks and the potatoes will continue to break apart as you stir.)
- Stir in diced sausage and cook on low for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in milk, cook for another 5 minutes.
- Taste and adjust salt and pepper, if needed. Enjoy!