- Heat oil in a large heavy soup pan over medium heat. Add peppers and onions plus some salt and pepper and saute for about 5 minutes until vegetables are fairly soft.
- Add in the minced garlic and sausage and saute until garlic is fragrant and the edges of the sausage are starting to brown, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the beef broth, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, bay leaf, smoked paprika, and crushed red pepper. Stir and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- While the soup is simmering you can cook your rice or you can use a shortcut and buy precooked rice in a steam bag.
- Stir in rice just before serving and adjust salt and pepper to taste- enjoy! (See note about leftovers)
Makes 6 Servings at 4 WW Smartpoints each and 224 calories.
Note about leftovers: Leftovers will become thick because the rice will continue to absorb the soup liquid. I personally don't mind this! To prevent this from happening you can keep the soup and rice separate and combine just before serving.