BBQ Shrimp and Grits
BBQ Shrimp and Grits
Well kiss my grits! We love this restaurant-style shrimp & grits submitted by a Gilbert's customer.
Recipe by Ashley Williams
- 2 lbs. Shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 links Gilbert’s Andouille Chicken Sausage
- ½ Medium red onion
- 1 each Medium red and yellow bell pepper
- 1 c. BBQ sauce
- 1 c. Grits
- 4 c. Water
- 1 tbsp. Butter
- ¼ - ½ c. Unsweetened Almond Milk
- ¼ tsp. Smoked paprika
- ½ tsp. Garlic powder
- ½ tsp. Onion powder
- ½ tsp. Black pepper
- ½ tsp. Corn starch
- 1 tbsp. Grapeseed or Olive oil, divided
- 2 Green onions, chopped for garnish
- In a large bowl, add the shrimp, seasonings, and ½ tbsp. oil. Toss to combine, then cover & refrigerate.
- Pour 4 cups of water into medium pot & add 1 tbsp. of butter and bring to a boil. While water is boiling dice the veggies and the sausage.
- Once water is boiling, add the grits and stir well. Once all the grits are mixed in, drop the heat to simmer & allow the grits to cook, stirring occasionally.
- As the grits cook, place a medium saucepan over medium heat & add remaining ½ tbsp. of oil. Once oil is hot, add HALF the veggies & sauté until soft. Remove from pan and set aside covered.
- Add shrimp in batches to remaining oil, cooking for 2 minutes on each side. Adding more oil if necessary. Remove from pan & set aside covered.
- Add remaining veggies and sausage to pan with shrimp drippings and sauté for 3 minutes. After 3 minutes, add the previously cooked sausage and veggies (with accumulated liquid), sauté for a few moments, & add corn starch. Stir until cornstarch is incorporated.
- Once cornstarch is incorporated, add BBQ sauce & stir. Once BBQ sauce starts to bubble, add ¼ c. almond milk & stir to combine. Drop the heat to a simmer to allow the flavors to develop the sauce to thicken. I like a lighter in color sauce, so I use ½ c almond milk
- Once the sauce has thickened, add the shrimp (and accumulated juices) to the cream sauce & stir. Allow to come to simmer, cover, & remove from heat.
- Serve over grits with green onion garnish